Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, Qaisra Shahraz is a prize-winning and critically acclaimed novelist and scriptwriter. Born in Pakistan, she has lived in Manchester (UK) since childhood and gained two Masters Degrees in English & European literature and scriptwriting for television. Being a highly successful and achieving woman on an international scale, Qaisra was recognised as being one of 100 influential Pakistani women in Pakistan Power 100 List (2012). She is a Director of Asia Pacific Writers and Translators partnership.Her novels, The Holy Woman, Typhoon and Revolt are translated into several languages including in Mandarin. The Holy Woman (2001) won the Golden Jubilee Award, was ‘Best Book of the Month’ at Waterstones and has become a bestseller in Indonesia and Turkey. Her first collection of stories “A Pair of Jeans & Other Stories” includes stories written over 25 years.She has appeared in many international writers’ festivals and book fairs including in Ubud, Makassar, Abu Dhabi, Ottawa, Jaipur, Philadelphia and Beijing. Her award-winning drama serial ‘Dil Hee To Hai’ was broadcast on Pakistani Television in 2003.Several of her prize-winning short stories are published in the UK and abroad. Her work including her first story “A Pair of Jeans” is being studied in schools and Universities. A critical analysis of her works has been done in a book entitled The Holy and the Unholy: Critical Essays on Qaisra Shahraz’s Fiction (2011). She has co-authored a literary textbook with Rudolf Rau entitled, “Emerging India” for German teachers. She is working on her latest novel set in Morocco and a new collection of short stories.
Qaisra Shahraz has enjoyed another successful career in education as an Ofsted inspector, a quality manager, consultant and teacher trainer, including working under the auspices of the British Council. She is a trustee of Manchester Multi Faith Centre, Vice Chair of Faith Network 4 Manchester and Executive Member of Muslim Jewish Forum. She currently devotes a lot of her time and energies to interfaith activities to promote messages of tolerance, peace and community cohesion in the UK and abroad through her literary tours.
- Spreading Messages of Peace at Avinashilingam University For Women, Coimbatore, India February 22, 2017
- Spreading Messages of Peace at the Kerala Literature Festival 2017 February 22, 2017
- Kerala Literature Festival, Calicut, India – 2017 February 22, 2017
- Kerala Literature Festival 2017 January 11, 2017
- Jaipur Literature Festival 2017 January 9, 2017
- Hong Kong – Promoting Literacy for Girls for DIL November 14, 2016
- Writers retreat: Weaving words – Peru September 25, 2016
- Qaisra won the National Diversity ‘Life Time Achiever’ award !! September 16, 2016