Revolt – NEW RELEASE
Revolt is a multi-layered, multi-faceted story of love and loss, finding and losing, and mixed-race marriage.
The tale of three wealthy sisters, and the problems that no amount of money can solve, we see a daughter, abandoned because of an impulsive marriage, an aunt who pines for lost love, and a bridegroom with the biggest problem of them all.
Set in England and the fictional village of Gulistan in Pakistan, with its fascinating array of quirky, eccentric and unforgettable characters, Revolt centres on the forthcoming marriage of two rich cousins and the often hilarious but always deeply moving pitfalls and perils of living in a place where everyone knows everybody else’s business. Underpinning the action is the compulsive and pervading need to resolve the conflict between Pakistani Muslim values and those of the modern West.
A brilliantly incisive portrait of small-town life, exploding into a panoramic portrayal of the nature of change, freedom, pride and prejudice,Revolt also reminds us of a darker, more threatening world. Immensely readable, dramatic and beautifully evocative, this book will enthrall, as the action unfolds and the tensions play out to their startling resolution.
‘Qaisra Shahraz deserves to be a household name in America. Much as Pearl Buck brought to light life in China; and Richard Wright and James Baldwin brought to light the devastating world of America’s black inner cities; so Qaisra Shahraz shines light into Pakistani village life, opening the curtains to another culture. Revolt Provides readers with a fascinating ride between English and Pakistani cultures, as only someone as well rooted in both worlds can relay. We can see through the stereotypes and beyond the walls of class, race and culture, to our common humanity. Highly emotionally intelligent and observant.’ Tugs on the heartstrings early on, and keeps a close rein until the end. Well written with delightful detail of the physical settings, daily life, and keenly described emotional interactions. Human and wonderful.’
Anora McGaha, Editor of Women Writers, Women Books online magazine, USA.
Revolt is published by Arcadia Books, and is available from all good book stores
To order your print or E-Book copy of Revolt, click the link to your country:
Barnes & Noble (US)
Angus & Robertson (AU)
For international translated editions of Qaisra Shahraz’s books, click on Published Works
Books written by Qaisra Shahraz
- Building Cultural Bridges in Dusseldorf, Germany September 6, 2017
- Qaisra Shahraz at Asia Pacific Writers & Translators – Bali 2017 Book Launch August 30, 2017
- Qaisra Shahraz at Ubud Writers & Readers Festival 2017 August 30, 2017
- Qaisra Shahraz at Manchester Literature Festival August 30, 2017
- Qaisra Shahraz at Manchester Literature Festival Hosted By Elizabeth Gaskell House August 28, 2017
- Remembering Srebrenica memorial Event at Oldham 6th Form College August 12, 2017
- Launching the Chinese Holy Woman at the Manchester Museum May 28, 2017
- Building Cultural Bridges Through Literature – University of Cologne, Germany May 28, 2017